Custom Search



Giant Candles


I want to tell you a short little personal story here before we move on. Over the weekend I got some new candles. I'm a big Jo Malone candle freak, and I found these once when I got dragged into a department store, long, long time ago, got dragged into a department store shopping. I even forgot what the store was.


They smell pretty good, and then I found out that they make these giant things, they call 'em luxury candles, but they have limited fragrances. The fragrances are good, but they got many more fragrances in their little, small candles. Frankly, I have large rooms in my house, and I don't want to have to buy 15 or 20 little candles to scent the whole room, and these large candles do it. So every once in a while I check the Jo Malone website to see if they've added. What I'm looking for is gardenia. I love gardenias. I love gardenia flowers.


I love the scent of gardenia. They've got 'em in these little dinky things, and they don't have them in the big ones. I check the website every now and then to see if they've added. I finally, on the website this morning, about an hour before the program, I clicked on the "contact us" button, and there was an option there, if you want to get hold of somebody to make a fragrance recommendation. I said, "Well, that's me."


So I clicked on it, and I put in the e-mail address and my name as they have it in my file. And I got instantly a reply: "Hi. I'm Beth. How can I help you?" I said, "This has gotta be a computer talking to me; nobody is going to respond this fast." So I put in a couple things, "I love the candles, I wish there was a large one, luxury candle with the gardenia scent," blah, blah. And I got some perfunctory answers like a computer would be answering. So I thought I'd throw a curveball in there and ask a specific question that the computer couldn't handle, and, lo and behold, it was answered specifically, and I thought, hmm, this is a real person.


Beth is not a computer, it's a real person. So I made the request and other things. She wrote back, "Are you a big fan of Jo Malone?" I said, "Check my file." She did, came back and said, "Well," and then she said, "I just have one question. Is this the Rush Limbaugh?" And I said, "Well, yes, indeed it is." "Well, I'm stunned." I said, "Why? Because you have mostly female customers?" She said, "No, that I'm actually talking to you," and she said she was in Virginia. The point is she's going to forward the request on to the higher-ups, which is all I wanted.


I don't know how to get hold of the grand pooh-bahs at Jo Malone. I mean, they're in London, for crying out loud. So anyway, I've been searching on the Internet for gardenia-scented -- Snerdley, do you know what's happening in the audience right now? "Limbaugh, gas prices are approaching five bucks, and you're telling us about candles?" (laughing) I know, folks. Anyway, I've been looking for large gardenia-scented candles on the Internet, and I can't find any big ones. Everybody makes these tiny little things, by tiny I mean like three inches diameter, three inches tall, and so forth. So we'll see if Beth -- she said she was a big fan, she and her father.


She was nice as she could be, said she was going to forward the request on to the grand pooh-bahs up at Jo Malone to see if I could get a gardenia -- and I'm not looking for anybody to try to find me a gardenia -- I've got it under control, that's not what this is. It was a nice chat and I started off thinking it was a computer because the responses came fast and some of the responses had clicks for various areas on the website, well, we do have a gardenia candle, go here, even though I'd said I know, but do you have big ones? Size does matter, Snerdley, especially in candles.


Well, when you have a large room, absolutely size matters. Why would want 18 little things. Well, that's about the only bright side, big carbon footprint with 18 wicks burning, that's true. But they don't last as long as the big ones do. (interruption) What do you mean, what's happened to me? Oh. Candles, kitty cats, what's happened to me? What do you think's happened -- the staff on the IFB, folks. Very sensitive? I've always been sensitive. What is this? That's why I asked her if she was stunned because a guy was asking her questions about candles.


I have always loved lots of candles in rooms scented with different fragrances, ever since I was in Pittsburgh when I moved out of my house. It's nothing new here. I've spoken of this before on the program. You people are starting to make me -- I'm talking about the staff here. What's happened to me? You guys sound like a bunch of liberals. "Limbaugh tried to soften his comments on Obama by then discussing his troubles in finding large gardenia-scented candles."


BREAK TRANSCRIPT


RUSH: The staff is continuing to give me grief over my confessed affection for scented candles in my home. Levin says, "What, are you going through menopause, or are you just a pyromaniac?" Ladies and gentlemen, let me just tell you: Only a man secure in his masculinity would ever admit that he loves gardenia-scented candles. This is not metrosexuality. You people are getting a little wacko. At least I didn't go to a baby shower like somebody here did!