Custom Search



Tony Kornheiser

Tony KornheiserJon Gruden to replace Tony Kornheiser on 'Monday Night Football'

ESPN is making a big change in its Monday Night Football announcing booth.

Former Bucs coach Jon Gruden is in, while Tony Kornheiser is resigning, according to ESPN, after three seasons.

Play-by-play man Mike Tirico and analyst Ron Jaworski are staying in the booth.

"I am totally grateful for the MNF opportunity that I truly enjoyed the last three seasons," Kornheiser said in a statement. "I feel we got better each year. My fear of planes is legendary and sadly true. When I looked at the upcoming schedule it was the perfect storm that would've frequently moved me from the bus to the air. I kept looking at the schedule the past month and wanted to find a way to quietly extricate myself. If I could handpick a replacement of a football guy, I would cast a net and drag in Jon Gruden."

Kornheiser will remain as the co-host of Pardon the Interruption for ESPN.

Gruden, fired by the Bucs after last season, was an analyst with the NFL Network during the NFL draft.

"Jon is one of the best football minds in the game, he has a natural ability to communicate that knowledge and he brings great enthusiasm – everything you want in an analyst,” ESPN VP Norby Williamson said in a statement.

“Combining Mike, one of the top play-by-play commentators in TV and radio, and Jaws, arguably the NFL’s best X’s and O’s analyst, with Jon, a Super Bowl-winning head coach, will create a must-watch Monday Night Football booth during the 40th season and in the years ahead."


Original Source : http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/2009/05/jon-gruden-to-replace-tony-kornheiser-on-monday-night-football.html