Custom Search



Angelina Jolie : Wanted

Wanted Review


When a film begins with a car chase worthy of my very best night of GTA 4, you know you're in business. An Angelina Jolie butt shot doesn't hurt, either.

Wanted, based on the graphic novel by Mark Millar, tells the story of Wesley Gibson (James McAvoy), a complete nobody. Harassed by his stapler-clicking boss, cheated on by his girlfriend, and addicted to anti-anxiety drugs, Wesley sees his life is going nowhere. A "chance" encounter with the fittingly named Fox (Angelina Jolie) at a convenience store (I think I need to change 7 Elevens) lets him in on his true history: He's the son of the world's best assassin and must avenge his father's murder. Fox introduces Wes to "The Fraternity," a band of fighters born with adrenaline-fueled abilities like lightning-quick reflexes and the ability to react as if things were moving in slow-motion. The head of this, uh, merry band is Sloan, (Morgan Freeman), Wes's dad's killing partner. Sloan explains that Wesley is one of the cool crowd, and proves it by making him shoot the wings off of some flies. I suppose if you're going to be told that your entire life is about to change, it's nice to hear it from Morgan Freeman and Angelina Jolie.

Waking up with a really full bank account (as Wes does) isn't so bad either. Does anyone want to tell me anything about my past? I'll even wear a superhero outfit...I already have the Underoos. Anyway, the Fraternity gets the names of their marks from a code woven into fabric on the "Loom of Fate." Sorry, but I can't just let this one go. "Loom of Fate?" Really? You couldn't have a "Flaming Python of Fate?" A "Spiked Ro-beast of Fate?" Hell, a "Rabid Hamster of Fate?" Weaving doesn't strike me as very "assassin." I guess that's the point.

Director Timur Bekmambetov's (Night Watch) stylized camera work lends itself quite easily to the frames and art of the graphic novel. I only had two issues. One: I'm tired of seeing a shot of the bad guy eating a steak before someone is killed. I get it. Bloody meat=someone's gonna die. Enough. It's been done. And two: Angelina eating Doritos? Anyone else think that's likely? Still, it was entertaining from start to finish. And I know someone's going to freak out about the amount of violence. True, it may beat the last fifteen minutes of The Departed for shots in the head, but that's what I liked about it. No apologies, no real moral lesson. Just lots of fake blood and totally satisfying action.

James McAvoy is well cast as the cypher-turned-"super assassin". His transformation from sniveling LaBoef-ite to conquering ass-kicker is impressive (And I'm not just saying that because he looked damn good without his shirt). Jolie is pretty much Laura Croft, but she certainly excels as the kick-ass hot chick. She doesn't speak much. Truth be told, she isn't really in the movie as much as the trailers and marketing would have you believe. And when she is on screen, she spends most of her time shooting someone or looking haughty and amused as Wesley tries to do the same. Still, I'd love to look as cool shooting a gun that looks like it would break my arm in half. And there is a shot of her getting out of the tub (see above: butt shot. Tattooed butt shot) that is worth the price of admission. Morgan Freeman in an action movie is treat enough for anyone, but hearing this refined gentleman say "mother f*cker" put me right over the edge.

Wanted is fun, hardcore violence. In fact, it would make a really good video game. Someone must have thought of this. Car chases, guns, ancient monks, super powers, healing bathtubs of wax....and looms! Lots and lots of looms.

Original Source : http://www.ugo.com/ugo/html/article/?id=18806&sectionId=7



----------------
Now playing: Buddha Monk - Blessings Of The Buddha
via FoxyTunes