Custom Search



Stacy Lewis Leads

New professional Stacy Lewis leads by one

AN American playing her first golf tournament as a professional has upstaged the big guns to take the third round lead at the US Women's Open.

On a day when the Australian challenge petered out, Stacy Lewis, a 23-year-old who turned pro less than three weeks ago, carded a sizzling six-under-par 67 in strong winds at Interlachen outside Minneapolis, Minnesota.

She posted a nine-under 210 total, one stroke better than fellow American Paul Creamer, with Swede Helen Alfredsson and Korean Inbee Park two behind.

But if Lewis was surprised to lead, she wasn't admitting it.

"Truthfully, I'm not really that surprised," she said.

"I felt I could play and compete at this level. It was my goal to put myself in contention to win going into the last day."

Lewis didn't sound boastful, just honest, and she might not be unduly nervous about leading the biggest championship in women's golf, not after what she endured in her childhood.

She was diagnosed with scoliosis, a severe curvature of the spine, at the age of 11 and wore a hard plastic brace for the next seven years.

When that didn't correct her problem, she had surgery, a rod and five screws inserted into her back.

"From there I had to wear a brace for another three months," she explained.

"And then I couldn't bend or twist for six months.

"When I found out I had to have surgery, I thought I was done playing golf forever."

But Lewis eventually made a near full recovery and now stands 18 holes away from what would be a stunning achievement.

Australian Katherine Hull, who started the day only four strokes from the lead, was never a factor after two early bogeys, battling to a 77 that left her equal 31st, 11 strokes off the pace, one stroke better than Karrie Webb.

"I fought my swing all day and didn't make a whole lot of putts," said Hull.

"It wasn't an ideal start (three bogeys in the first five holes) but that's golf.

"It's not a game of perfect but most of us are perfectionists so when it doesn't go the way we want, we get a little stroppy."

Original Source : http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23940906-10389,00.html


----------------
Now playing: Inspectah Deck Feat. Donnie Cash, King Just, La Banga - 10304
via FoxyTunes